>       I have installed gimp-nonfree, but when I save an image, the gif
>       extensions is still disabled. Am I missing anything?

GIF is often disabled if there are layers in the image that haven't been
flattened, or if the image mode is RGB rather than Indexed.

>       Also, could someone tell me how to save an image with
>       transparent background? It would be great if I can use png and avoid
> using
>       gif, but I don't really mind.

Even though the PNG image format supports transparency, I wouldn't use
it if you are putting your images on the web because most browsers don't
use the PNG transparency information.  The latest Mozilla release (M12)
does, but Netscape and MSIE 4.0 don't.  Not sure about MSIE 5.0.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc