On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 11:40:24AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip exim troubles>

> NOTE 1: my ISP's user name is different than my Linux's user name,
>         so I need to use the exim's DB-rewrite feature,
>         that I tested successfully with 'exim -brw <address>'.
> NOTE 2: my ISP connection works fine and it is well configured.
> NOTE 3: '.fetchmailrc' is well configured too.
>
> I don't know if I have to change something in '/etc/host' or what...
> Please, is there anybody who can show me where I have to put the following
> parameters
> in '/etc/exim.conf' ?
>
> my hostname      :  xyz
> Linux's user name:  myself_linux
> my ISP account   :  myself
> my address       :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> SMTP server      :  smtp.mail.company.it
> POP3 server      :  pop3.mail.company.it

Here's most of my exim.conf - I've cut out the comments to save bandwidth.
I've inserted a few comments of my own - they are all in ()'s and will be
on the line after the one the comment will be referring to.
---- begin /etc/exim.conf ----
qualify_domain = earthlink.net
(I too am on a dialup - this is my ISP)

# qualify_recipient =
local_domains = localhost
local_domains_include_host = true
local_domains_include_host_literals = true
#relay_domains =
#relay_domains_include_local_mx = true
#host_lookup = 0.0.0.0/0
#rbl_domains = rbl.maps.vix.com
#rbl_reject_recipients = false
#rbl_warn_header = true
host_accept_relay = "! * : \
    *"
# percent_hack_domains=*
trusted_users = mail
smtp_verify = false

smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 0
(this is a usefull one - all mail is delivered immediately)

gecos_pattern = ^([^,:]*)
gecos_name = $1

received_header_text = "Received: \
          ${if def:sender_fullhost {from ${sender_fullhost} \
          ${if def:sender_ident {(${sender_ident})}}\n\t}\
          {${if def:sender_ident {from ${sender_ident} }}}}\
          by ${primary_hostname} \
          ${if def:received_protocol {with ${received_protocol}}} \
          (Exim ${version_number} #${compile_number} (Debian))\n\t\
          id ${message_id}"
end

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  group = mail
  mode = 0660
  mode_fail_narrower = false
  file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}

address_pipe:
  driver = pipe
  return_output

address_file:
  driver = appendfile

address_directory:
  driver = appendfile
  no_from_hack
  prefix = ""
  suffix = ""
# maildir_format

address_reply:
  driver = autoreply

remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp

end

real_local:
  prefix = real-
  driver = localuser
  transport = local_delivery

system_aliases:
  driver = aliasfile
# >> Option added by convert4r3
  file_transport = address_file
# >> Option added by convert4r3
  pipe_transport = address_pipe
  file = /etc/aliases
  search_type = lsearch
# user = list
# Uncomment the above line if you are running smartlist

userforward:
  driver = forwardfile
# >> Option added by convert4r3
  file_transport = address_file
# >> Option added by convert4r3
  pipe_transport = address_pipe
# >> Option added by convert4r3
  reply_transport = address_reply
  no_verify
  check_ancestor
  file = .forward
  modemask = 002
  filter

# This director matches local user mailboxes.

localuser:
  driver = localuser
  transport = local_delivery

end

smarthost:
  driver = domainlist
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = "* mail.earthlink.net bydns_a"

end

(up to here everything was done by eximconfig)

# Domain               Error       Retries
# ------               -----       -------

*                      *           F,2h,5m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h

end

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] bcfrF
(this is the bit I think will solve your problem)
(my user name on my Linux box is mike - that's the first part)
(the second part shows what my email address rewrite is to be)
(the third shows which parts of the headers to rewrite - I'm not sure
 about them but it seems to work)

# [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
#                                               {$value}fail} bcfrF
---- end exim.cond ----

There we go.  That's the whole thing - probably more than was really needed
but I figured I'd better err on the side of too much in this case.  Especially
since I'm really not 100% sure on how everything there works.  What I do know
is that this works for me here on a potato system with exim 3.11-2 and
fetchmail 5.2.3-1
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"