On 01/24/00, Joseph A. Martin addressed "Allowing users to shutdown":
>       I have set up a Linux workstation for my family's use. They
> only need to keep the system on for short periods. (For various
> reasons I don't want to leave it on full time.) They are using the
> icewm window manager, which, when they hit ctrl-alt-del, gives them
> the option of shutting down or rebooting the system. /sbin/shutdown
> has permissions that do not allow them to use the shutdown command,
> unfortunately. What permissions must I set to allow anyone on that
> system to shut it down?

A real simple solution is to change what Ctrl-Alt-Del does in /etc/inittab.
On my wife's machine, I changed it a little to say:

# What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now

That way she can bring it down to a state where it's safe to shut off
or reset without any further customization to the system.  She's not
even in sudoers.  Of course, Ctrl-Alt-Del may be intercepted at
certain times, e.g. in X, but all she has to do is go to a free VT if
that's the case.

--
Jesse Jacobsen, Pastor          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Grace Lutheran Church (ELS)     http://www.jvlnet.com/~jjacobsen/