Michael Jessop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I upgraded to Potato (that's what it took to get XWindows to work correctly
> on my system -- now I have to figure out how to get KDE to be my default WM)
> but my KERNEL didn't upgrade?!  It is still at 2.0.36 (or .39, I forget
> which).  How?  Why?
>
> Thanks btw for all the help yesterday!  I had a nightmare of a time last
> night, kept getting APT errors with some packages so it is still not 100%
> upgraded.  But at least I have XWindows and it THINKS it is potato.

Debian, for the most part, is kernel independent. There might be some
software that requires at least some minimum kernel version, you'd
have to look in the Packages file to see, but if there is you didn't
install it. potato does come with kernel source up to 2.2.14 I believe,
and kernel images to 2.2.13 (last time I looked) and so you can simply
install one of them, or download the kernel straight from a kernel.org
mirror and compile your own.

Gary