Ed Cogburn wrote:

> "Michel Dänzer" wrote:
> >
> > --- Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >       There is, to me, something suspicious that I haven't noticed before.
> > > The last lines of the text console after starting X now include:
> > >
> > >       SetKbdSettings - type: 0 rate: 5 delay: 105 snumlk: 0
> > >       SetKbdSettings - succeeded
> > >
> > > Where is this coming from?  Its NOT the AutoRepeat thing in
> > > XF86Config, this is something new thats been added recently.
> >
> > Let's repeat it: It _is_ the AutoRepeat thing. It was ignored in former
> > versions of XFree86.
>
>         Then there is another problem that I'm seeing because AutoRepeat does
> nothing at all.  I can change the 250 to 500 or the 5 to 0, 6, or 15
> and rerun X.  NO CHANGE.  Also, the SetKbdSettings lines do not change
> either, the rate remains 5 and the delay 105.

        To clear up the earlier confusion from above:  I now know the
SetKbdSettings stuff is coming from *GNOME* (latest version of GNOME,
I'm using "potato" updated almost daily).  It now sets the keyboard
every time it starts, thus the value of AutoRepeat in XF86Config
*seems* to be ignored, but actually its just being overridden at
startup every time.
        Setting the keyboard in GNOME's config will solve the problem,
AutoRepeat in XF86Config can be ignored as long as you use GNOME.
Note:  The "rate" variable doesn't seem to be linear, so you have to
experiment with the numbers to find what is comfortable for you,
{rate=25, delay=250} works for me.

--
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire

Ed C.