How often are the debian mirrors updated?

I just installed potato a couple days ago, using the
Canadian pkg mirror at ftp.ca.debian.org.  Today, I
ran apt-get update; apt-get upgrade for the first
time, and got 0 packages updated.  On a hunch, I changed
my sources.list to point to http.us.debian.org, and
reran the update/upgrade, and got 29 packages updated.

Is this just an n-day lag between the primary site and
the mirror, or is ftp.ca.debian.org not being maintained?
If the former, how big is n?  If it's just a couple days,
I can certainly live with that, but if it's much longer,
I'll stick to hitting the primary site.

My transfer times are comparable (about 10-14.5 KB/s over
a 1M ADSL connection, which is pretty poor) between both
sites, though the US site is more variable -- I suspect
that's due to the higher load on the US site, since my
ISP has good connectivity to the US backbone.

- Marc