Well, just for the heck of it, I removed the card, reinstalled it
and recompiled the kernel again.   This time it found the card,
loaded it properly, and eth0 is up and running!  Thanks so much
to all those that offered suggestions and help.  The main reason I
like Debian is the quality and the helpfullness of the user base.

Thanks!

Todd

PS.  Now the only thing I have left is to get this pesky SCSI
card to work.

At 08:41 PM 2/8/00 -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> I don't have the dmesg output handy, but I double checked and saw
> no reference either to the card or the driver.   quite strange.

Indeed.  What kernel version are you using?  What about any PnP settings
in the BIOS?

Phil Brutsche                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein