On 24 Feb 2000, "F.P. Groeneveld" wrote:

derk >Okay, you are 100% correct. nmbd had respawned a zillion times. Killing
derk >them solved the problem. Still, I don't understand why logins through ssh
derk >are not affected? Also, I couldn't find where ulimit is set. Anyone?

i think 256 is just the default.  i set them in /etc/profile to take
effect when someone logs in. i think logins through ssh were not affected
because ulimit is just that .. user limits.  its not system wide.  it
allows X user to do X amount of stuff, and it isn't supposed to interfere
with other user's processes.

any idea why nmbd went nuts? that hasn't happened to me.

nate