Hi Mark!

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I changed my umask for root to 077. I'm not certain if that was
> wise.
I can have advantages. If you know what you're doing I see no problem.

> I'm also not certain if it's the cause of my headache with my
> attempt to install StarOffice.
>
> I do a net installation and am able to install as root, but I can't
> install as a normal user. It turns out that the permissions on the
> SO directories are whacked. I can't get into most of them as a
> normal user.

Perhaps you don't know about chmod. it allows you to change file
permissions. have a look at the manpage and/or the info pages.

You might want to try to fix the permissions of you SOffice install:

in /usr/local as root assuming the StarOffice net stuff is located there:

chmod -R go+r SOffice
find SOffice -perm -100 -exec chmod go+x {} \;

regards
Peter Palfrader

--
Weasel                            http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~ppalfrad/
PGP/GPG encrypted messages prefered. See my site or finger -l ppalfrad