"...something munging bytes on the way through," is what I assume.

I can load the same pages on my Win95 laptop with no problem with the same ISP,
so it appears to be Linux somehow that is doing this.

Last night I recompiled the kernel (a potato system, I had been using the
default 2.2.14 kernel), and this seems to have relieved the problem somewhat --
stuff downloads very slowly from the problem sites, but I don't get the
timeouts that I was getting.  No error messages are now evident.

Maybe I need to examine the packets that are getting sent over to me?