> Get a newer version of magicfilter -- mine (Version: 1.2-37) supports
> the 720C, which is what I use.

I've got magicfilter 1.2-37, but I didn't find a dj720c. There is however
a driver pbm2ppa-720 which is installed by pbm2ppa, maybe you ment that?
On the homepage of HP however I found this quote in their view on Linux

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/cspt/cds/dlvr.pl?lid=general&fid=bpd06898

NOTE: Host-based printers such as the HP DeskJet 710, 720C, 820C and 1000C
series will not function in the Linux environment because they depend on
the Microsoft Windows operating system.

The problem is that a printer can't brought back, so I have to be quiet
sure that it will work fine (including color)

Greetings, Sander