On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, smoke wrote:

> i downloaded the files from the getting started, dos install. i have
> install, linux
> drv1440.bin, loadlin.exe, root.bin,resc1440.bin and base2_1.tgz.
> i run the install bat and get a command to enter kernal name. i tried
> linux and nothing
> happens. WHAT IS THE KERNEL out of these files? IS LINUX SUPPOSED TO
> HAVE
> AN EXTENSION?
> IF I DO GET AN INSTALLATION TO WORK WILL I SEE A GRAPHICS PAGE OR
> JUST
> #
> #
> #
> # ?
> i want to learn linux, but if it is uninstallable without knowing unix
> commands i will
> buy windows 98.
> i have compacted a second harddrive, and ran fips. i have two
> partitions. i have the
> files required according to the getting started page in a file on the
> dos partition.
> WHAT DO I TYPE IN FOR THE KERNAL?
> is the base 2-1.tgz a compressed file i have to unzip?
>

> --

Hmm..
I suggest you download the install documentation which should be located
where you found the other files, if cant retrace your step, go to any
debian mirror in /...dist../disks-i386/current/
Then read it.
And if you check in install.bat
it says the it wants a file called linux
make sure you have, you can download it from the above mentioned place.
/nisses