It really sucks, basically.  I found out that I had to track down the
manufacturer of my large hard drive, get the specs from them, and then pass
them on to cfdisk/fdisk and ignore the warnings that those programs gave me.  I
also remember that one of them sinply would not work (fdisk, I think), so I had
to use cfdisk and specify the CHS specs.  But then it worked great!  I was
installing SuSE at the time, which has cfdisk in the install ramdisk.  Beware
of strangeness - some drives have multiple CHS specs, as they respond to
different 'virtual' setting.

-Percival