On Mon, 22 May 2000, A. Scott White wrote:

> Now that my ntp is working, is there a particular ntp server I should use?

Yes, you should use a stratum 2 or higher (3, 4...) server unless you're
providing NTP services for a huge set of machines (100+).

> I'm using clock.via.net because it is listed at
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1.htm as:

Those are primary (stratum 1) servers, please refrain from using them unless
you need first-class clock-sync service (hint: if you did, you'd have bought
a GPS radio-clock as well).

Please select a server from:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2.htm
                                          ^
Which is the list of stratum 2 servers. They sync to the stratum 1 servers,
which are few, and must be kept at low load to increase performance. So
regural users really should never access stratum 1 servers.

  Henrique Holschuh