I no expert but don't you have to enable ip forwarding
in the kernel first by executing the following:

# echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

I assume of course that you are trying to set up
ip masquerading. There a good article on this in the
linux journal issue 43, available on line at

http://www2.linuxjournal.com

go to the frame on the left
click magazine

Also take look through the debian mailing list archives.
There seems to be lots on ip masquerading there.