David:

   Just after posting the note I found that there was a package
   in main/otherofs called macutils. I used apt-get install macutils
   and it gave a file which I think is called hixbin. It insall
   the mime to use hexbin when it comes across The BinHex format and
   it seems to work, i.e., it writes it to a file. I was then able to
   look at it. These were word files so I was able to use word2x to
   convert them to text or latex.

I hope this helps.