"Bart Szyszka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Alec Smith wrote:
>> Actually, /usr/src/linux is the default -- Linus ships the tree in a
>> format to go in a directory called linux.
>
>I don't use any "shipping" version of Linux.

I think Alec meant the kernel tarballs.

>> In general, you want to symlink /usr/src/linux to the actual location of
>> your kernel sources.
>
>Why?

Most instructions expect the kernel source to be in /usr/src/linux, so
that way is easier for newbies. If it's just a symlink then all you need
to do to unpack a tarball is remove the symlink, unpack, rename the
created directory to something else (like linux-2.2.15), and drop the
symlink back in again. Things end up at their most consistent that way,
I think.

--
Colin Watson                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]