From: John Pearson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 5:35 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Network Cards

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 01:42:35PM -0500, Bolan Meek wrote
> Jay Kelly wrote:
> >
> > I have a quick qestion, I want my nic cards (eth0 and eth1) to keep the
> > setting I configure such as ip, netmask after rebooting. Each time I
reboot
> > eth1 dumps all the information I put in the ifconfig setup. How can I
get it
> > to store and keep the information for both nic cards?
>
> I find on my frozen (potato) installation on a sparc the file
> /etc/network/interfaces, described in `man interfaces`.

On slink it's /etc/init.d/network, which is set up nicely
IFF you identify and configure your network card during
installation.  A fairly standard example is attached;
if you don't have one customise this one then place it
in /etc/init.d and run

# chmod a+rx /etc/init.d/network
# update-rc.d network start 40 S .

John P.