On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 03:55:26PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
> Hello Guys, I'm currently using Gnome and starting it with "startx" I
> changed the .xsession so that O could start it from the console but
> when it starts I am no longer asked for a login name and pass. I want
> to be able to start gdm (I think that's what it is) so I have a choice
> to select from Gnome or Debian or Xwindows. Any idea's how I can
> accomplish this?

Well, gdm provides a login in mechanism.  If you are using startx, then
you're already logged in, no?  One option is to use xsm (X session
manager), but with something like GNOME or kde you end up with a session
manager managing another session manager and all kinds of goofy things
can happen.  With xsm, you could however define the basic GNOME things
you want started for each session (panel, gmc) but *don't* use
gnome-session.  There's a thing called wmanager in woody that's supposed
to let you choose among a series of profiles, but does not do any
session management (e.g. you'd define a bunch of .xsession files with
different properties).  Unfortunately, it has broken dependencies right
now, so I can't tell you if it works ;(

But, there's no harm in running gdm all of the time. I use it with xsm
and can define a bunch of different session types as well as having the
gnome session type.  Works well.  You can always switch to one of the
console vt's if you want a console login.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.