Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:

> Bolan Meek wrote:
>
> > > this one is for all the regexp, shell, and editing-experts...
> >
> > How about us perl hackers, hunh?!  Got sumpin' g'inst us, buddy!?
>
> Of course not!  How could I?!  :)

Well, we members of the Perl Hackers Anti-Defamation League
sometimes are a little touchy...

> > Well, you could use regexp in sed, or use an awk script, but if
> > I had only 3x3 matrices to transform, in text, I'd
> > perl -e 'for ($i=0;$i<3;++$i){<>;@entry = split ',';print
> > "$i[0],$i[1],$i[2]\n";}'
> > with a file directed into it, and stdout redirected to a file.
>
> This ..., well ..., it doesn't work.

(Head under the arm) Guess I ought have _tested_ that first, hunh?

> At first I thought that you meant @entry[x] in your last line,

Actually, I meant $entry[x]...

> but that doesn't help either.

Yes, I see that now.

> I always get  3 pairs of commas without the values.
> Besides, the way I read the code,
> it doesn't do anything usefull, because a line with values seperated by
> commas, will become exactly the same line.  But then again, I don't know
> anything about Perl, so this is just guessing.

No, you're right.  That was a >quick & stupid< of me.

> > Matrixes with unpredetermined columns or rows become slightly
> > trickier, but only by 1) keeping track of the length/breadth, and
> > 2) nesting another loop.
>
> What about matrixes with a different number of columns and rows (e.g.
> 4x3 or 123x234)?

OK.  I'll figure out why I'm not getting from my split what I
expect, correct my script, extend it for arbitrary matrices,
and get back to you.

(Boy, do I feel foolish...)  That's what I get for not actually
_testing_ my code.  I guess I'd better resign from the PHADL,
since I'm going to give us a bad name....