On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 10:40:23PM +0200, Jonas Moberg wrote:
> I've (after many years of use..) been looking up what my shell
> actually can do for me to make my life easier. I've been going thru
> the features of tcsh (first shell I ever used, but I'm determined to
> go thru bash and zsh or ksh (when time permits that is..)).

Suggestion:

    o Start with bash and zsh.  I'd suggest you'll generally find  that
          these are advanced shells which supercede virtually all the
          functionality of precursor shells, including the Bourne shell line
          (sh, korn, posix-compliant, bash, bash2) and csh line (csh, tcsh,
          zsh).  For userland, you're most likely going to find that bash
          and zsh are going to have features you really, really like.

    You may also want to look at a few alternate shells, for special
        purposes.

        o ash is a lightweight shell, useful on rescue disks (though
          last I checked, Tom's Root/Boot seemed to be running a bash-like
          shell).  As standard shells have bulked up, lightweight shells
          are finding a place for rescue or limited-storage situations.

    o sash is a "secure" shell -- it contains built-ins for a whole mess
          of what are normally system commands.  It is also (usually)
          statically linked -- it doesn't require external libraries.  This
          makes it useful as a rescue shell or for exploring a system which
          is suspected of being compromised.

> So, of course, I got some questions for you all.. ;-) When I was
> reading the tcsh man-page I found some interesting examples on how to
> set the xterm title.

See the BashPromptHOWTO for equivalent under bash.

In my .bashrc

        # Following sets prompt to [EMAIL PROTECTED] dir], and puts the full
        #   [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/full/path/spec in an xterm title bar.
        function proml
        {
        case $TERM in
                xterm*|rxvt|eterm|wterm)
                        local TITLEBAR='\[\033]0;[EMAIL PROTECTED]:\w\007\]'
                        ;;
                *)
                        local TITLEBAR=''
                        ;;