so i used to be running the 2.2.17-ide kernel which came with potato, but
have since took it upon myself to go with a homegrown kernel, one which i
have configured and compiled myself.  I downloaded the source to 2.2.16
and patched it to the latest 2.2.17pre19.  I configured, and compiled it
using make-kpkg and installed it.  However, to my dismay, when i compiled
it i saw no real option for the dma66 support which i need (and yes, i did
select to show the optional selections in make menuconfig) and so my newly
compiled kernel does nothing for my dma66 controller on my motherboard.
Does anyone know how this support got into the kernel which comes with
potato?  Is there an option i missed which comes with the regular source
from kernel.org, or is there some patch i have to go get to add this
capability?  There must be something i'm missing.  Anyway, thank you so
much for your time.

dave