I had a similar problem last year, but that was when my boot sector
was on Lilo, and I had virus scanners installed. MS-DO$ and MS-
Window$ is rather posessive about the boot sector, and several
software inclusive of NDD, scandisk and related software
start giving warnings. Virus scanners scan the boot sector
during shut down and may be the cause of the problem.

These problems have all gone now after removal of Lilo
and booting through Loadlin. The Loadlin documentation
gives details about loading multiple OSs through Config.sys.

Linux is definitely more polite and does not quarrel about
posession of the boot sector. If Lilo booting is the problem
this may help

Bish