From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 6:14 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ISP server assigned nameserver addressing - how?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:23:02 PDT, Nate Amsden writes:
>in 99.9% of cases you do not have to use your ISP's DNS. you can use any
>DNS(use mine if you want 209.102.24.193 & 194) to find an ISP's numeric
>DNS i would suggest using WHOIS, or dig.

But using "further" away DNS´s _will_ affect your browsing speed, eg if
 netscape wants to connect to a page with lots o banners or otherwise
 linked other sites there´s easily 20-30 dns-lookups per page, and
 netscape does them one after one, so there are seconds lost sometimes
 before netscape even gets the the whole page html-wise...

&rw
--
/ Robert Waldner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | Phone: +43 1 89933 0 Fax x533 \
\        KPNQwest/AT tech staff        | Diefenbachg. 35   A-1150 Wien /