I'm having trouble installing Debian 2.2 on a i386 with an IDE CD-ROM. I'm
installing from the CD, but Setup complains that it can't find the rescue
floppy.

I boot from the CD and start Setup without problem. I can partition my HD
without problem. The problems begin during the "Install Operating System
Kernel and Modules'' step. I choose to install from the CD-ROM and Setup
asks me for the path to the "Debian archive". The default is /instmnt, where
Setup automatically mounted the CD. I verified that the CD is correctly
mounted from another virtual console while Setup is running. Setup asks me
for the path to the images-1.44/rescue.bin. I choose the default, which
seems to find the file at
/instmnt/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/rescue.bin. Then
Setup pops up an error message saying that it is unable to mount the rescue
floppy. At this point, Setup is hosed. I cannot continue because Setup
insists on finding a rescue floppy that does not exist.

Why is Setup trying to find a rescue floppy on /dev/fd0 when I told it to
install from the mounted CD-ROM? How can I get around this broken Setup step
and install the operating system and kernel modules?

thanks for your help!
chris