I have a Best Data 56K external modem to.  I was having problems with it
taking forever to initialise, and it would also go off line constantly.  I
found that moving it too /dev/ttyS1 using irq 3 seemed to improve the
performance.  Before I had the modem set to /dev/ttyS2 using irq 5.  Try
putting it in a different serial port if its external (or different "com
port" in an internal.

John Kerr Anderson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2