On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 03:12:12PM -0700, Tristan wrote:
:Well, I finally installed and (somewhat) configured debian linux
:(potato).
: My computer is a standalone dialup, and finaly set up fetchmail/exim/Pine
:by typing
:exim -bd
:fetchmail
:everytime i connect to the internet, are there better packages to use? is
:there a more secure, easier way to check my mail with pine, mutt, etc, and
:I subscribe to alot of mailing lists so I use Pine to sort out my Inbox
:and send it to different folders again, easier/faster way to do this?

procmail is an excelent utility for sorting incoming mail into folders

you can start and stop fetchmail using /etc/ppp/ip-up and
/etc/ppp/ip-down scripts (or more accurately now the ip-<up|down>.d
directories)

:
:My other question is there any scripts or good easy to read texts to tell
:me how, to stop alot of the services and daemons that start up when i boot
:linux up?

some services are started by inetd you can configure these by editing
/etc/inetd.cof (comment out *everything* is my recommendation).  Other
services are started in /etc/rc2.d (or other run levels, but 2 is the
default).

In this directory there's a bunch of symbolic links to the real
scripts in /etc/init.d, items starting with a "K" stop services those
starting with an "S" start service.  The two digit number following
shows the order of operations and the final name is the name of the
script in /etc/init.d

One thing to keep in mind with these is that you want to stop services
in the reverse order that they are started.  For example, if you want
to stop xdm (graphical login):

$ su
# cd /etc/rc2.d
# mv S99xdm K01xdm

next time you reboot xdm will not start.

you can also control services using the script is /etc/init.d they
always take start and stop as options and usually restart (if you
changed config files) and status. For example (again with xdm)

# /etc/init.d/xdm stop

this shuts down xdm without rebooting, if you just type:

# /etc/init.d/xdm

you will see a listing of comand line arguments

HTH,
Jon