Grateful for your prompt reply.

No, I'm actually looking for a word processor for small time
jobs like letters and other odd things that I push out on my
DMP. This type of odd jobs actually occupies 60% of my time.
I am getting tired of switching to "X" for such small stuff.

The ASCII requirement is a personal fancy for portability to
other applications. Perhaps asking for the moon !  I know of
quite a few  DOS editors  capable of that inclusive of WS in
non-document mode.  Acorn "view" for the BBC used to do just
that.

vi editor is the thing that I am using at the moment for the
small time jobs, only that the finesse of proper page breaks
and justification are missing.

Surely, LaTeX (and LyX) is definitely a class apart for do-
ing real fancy documents,  but that's not the use that I am
envisaging. I used LyX in the past as well (a good frontend
for LaTex for lazy bones)! Of late I have switched to a new
wp called abiword ... does HTML, doc and RTF as well .. and
prints fine without any further processing. All these still
mean switching to "X"!

USM Bish