The keymap that should be loaded is
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz

Normally with kbdconfig you can browse through the directory of
/usr/share/keymaps/ and choose the one you need.

If you are using console-tools after the installation it should get your
/etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz
(Analogously with kbd -- /etc/kbd/default.kmap.gz, I think)

To get a german keymap for X you you could use a tool like XF86Setup or
xf86config

> I just installed debian, potato, on a new comp. Now I cannot use the German
> keys "a "u "s (latex-babel notation) neither on the console nor with X. I've
> choosen qwertz-nodeadkeys at installation and several time with "kbdconfig".
> Curiously the "z" and "y"keys are changed.
sorry for that question: Did you hit "qwerty" when you were asked for "qwertz"
or "qwerty"? It's a bit funny, because you must hit the wrong to get the right
one ...

> Thanks for any hints...
> Peter

Over here are some german debian-gurus, so hopefully you problem will get
solved ...
A humble literary critic, enthusaistic about debian, but still only
enthusiastic ...

MH
--
(Dr.) Michael Hummel