On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 01:19:51PM -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> I've tried to tell X to use the fifo /dev/gpmdata as its
> pointing device but it doesn't work. The mouse behaves fine
> under gpm (even cut&paste works) but is unuseable under X. The
> mouse cursor does move when I move the mouse, but in
> completely erratic and unpredictable ways. The only way I've
> got the mouse to work under X is to not use the gpm fifo, and
> to stop gpm before starting X. My mouse is a Logitech 3-button
> PS/2 type. -chris

My mouse is not the same kind as yours, but to get this to work for me, I
needed to put the -R option at the beginning of the append line in
/etc/gpm.conf like so:
append="-R -l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""
X has happily used /dev/gpmdata ever since--with no need to stop gpm before
starting X.

HTH,
James