>Does the whole machine lock up, or just X? Can you Ctrl-Alt-F2 to the
second virtual terminal? Can you telnet/ssh in to the box? Can you ping the
box?

>If "no" to the last two questions, do you have an eepro100 NIC? I ask, because I have
>a machine that kept locking up totally during network activity;
 turned out to be a bug in the NIC driver; had to use a utility (don't remember which
now, but it's apt-gettable) to change a setting in the NIC's
PROM, which solved the problem.

>Kent

Hi Kent,

Unfortunately I must answer no to all of the above.

I was unable to Ctrl-Alt-F2 to the second virtual terminal. I was running gkrellm at
the time and all indicators froze. I was on ppp connection when
it happened.
Strange indeed. It never happened before.

Davor