> > If the author is not able in configuring gpm or X
> > he probably shouldn't write articles for linuxworld.com
>
>    I thought the same thing.

Ditto here, come on... get your hands dirty.

>    I'm all for teaching people about computers (being a former college
> professor, now working in a public school district) as users' (and many
> techies[sic]) real knowledge of computers is amazingly low.  But I think
> Debian's approach to installing leaves many users in the dust.
>
>    Sure, we can say "they're idiots who don't want to read/learn
> anything"
> and we'd be perfectly correct -- but we still have to realize that we're
> leaving many users in the dust.

        I'd like to offer a more settling comment.  Getting a driver's license
is
somewhat easy.  Driving well is a challenge for a great number of people (I
thought all cars were required to have working turn signals, but I guess I
may be wrong).  Driving in Formula or Stock Car races is something not
everyone wants or is able to do.  Debian is a sleek well maintained piece of
Linux.  Sure, you can have an engine blow (woody libc), but all in all, it
is IMHO the best.
        If a person is going to install linux (install, not necessarily use), I
believe that they should UNDERSTAND what they are doing, and why.  If they
are installing linux to get out of paying for a M$ product, then my
suggestion is to quit being a *&^$#*&^ and fork over the loot to Bill.  When
Microsoft purchases RedHat and delivers MSLinux, then those people can get
there way and do an install without thinking, and thanks to GPL, they won't
be committing software piracy.

I'm ready for my flames now,

Brooks