<snip>

> ---END DMESG---
>
> Notice the messages that read (maybe they have
> something to do with it):
>
> PCI: BIOS32 entry (0xc00fa000) in high memory, cannot
> use.
> PCI: Using configuration type 1
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
>
> I tried to use Compaq's F10 Setup software for the
> computer to configure the card properly, but to I
> haven't a clue what I am doing with memory ranges and
> I/O ranges:  The software won't let me choose an I/O
> range less than 1000 - 10FF.  It also won't let me
> chose a memory range less than 41000000 - 410003FF.
>
> DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUES???  MAYBE A BAZOOKA?

I had a similar problem with a compaq 486 prolinea.  The problem
is that the pci bios is located at a strange place.  There is a
utility that can relocate the pci bios code down to a place where
linux can find it.  I can't remember now what it's called but
it should be on the compaq web site.  I never got mine to work
but you might have more luck.  The 486 I was using had built in
scsi and I couldn't even install the base system (could not find
the hard disk).  I assume you have to boot to dos, run this utility
and then use the dos linux loader to boot into linux.

hth
jim

> Thanks in advance,
> Tim