On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 11:37:52PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:20:34PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > And, while I'm on it -- once a program is packaged (like Open Office) and is
> > in unstable, is there any general rule of thumb for how long it takes to go
> > to testing and finally to stable?
>
> -> testing: once all its dependencies are in testing, once it builds on
> all architectures and once a single version of the package has spent at
> least 10 days (generally, there are exceptions) in unstable without
> release-critical bugs being filed. See
> http://www.debian.org/devel/testing for the details.
>
> -> stable: when a new Debian release happens, full stop.
>
> There's no easy rule of thumb to give you, because it depends completely
> on how releasable the package is in unstable, and on how releasable all
> its dependencies are.

It's worth pointing out that this is a particularily bad time for sarge;
a lot fo things are changing in sid, so it's been something like months
since anything major moved into sarge.  It's generally a lot quicker
than it has been over the past 6 months or so.  Once the KDE3, GCC 3.2,
glibc 2.3, GNOME2 and Perl 5.8 transitions have completed, sarge should
start seeing new stuff :-)

-rob