On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 05:13:21PM -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Joe Emenaker wrote:

> > So uh, why did you let it?

> I presume this would have been your response if I had reported that 'vi' had
> deleted my kernel images, too? :)

> Why did I "let" it?!?! Because I was never asked. I asked apt to "install"
> and I ended up without some critical packages.

Were you running with --assume-yes or something similar?  Normally if
you try to apt-get install something that requires anything beyond the
exact change specified on the command line you get a prompt like this:

# apt-get install mesag-glide2-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libglide2 libglide2-dev mesag3-glide2
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libutahglx-dev libutahglx1
  libglide2 libglide2-dev mesag-glide2-dev mesag3-glide2
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 2 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 1784kB of archives. After unpacking 4922kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

which appears to be exactly what you're asking for.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/