Encoding to either ogg or mp3 is lossy, but when converting
back to wav the information in the mp3 or ogg audio should
be retained completely.  James is right when reminding me
that going from ogg to mp3 incurs two opportunities of loss
though, one from wav to ogg, and then another from ogg to
mp3.  Hence, when I converted ogg to mp3, I set the mp3
encoder to nearly cd audio quality to reduce that second
loss.  It still sounded crisp when played back.
jack