Every once in a while, @home has a service outage (a little more frequently
in my case since I live out in the sticks).  Of course, when the net
connection is down, I can't ping my router, or gateway, or anything other
than my local box.

The problem is that it seems that after @home has their end back up and
running, the only way that I can get my net connection back is to reboot my
machine.  There _has_ to be another way to do this.

Recently, @home dropped my connection.  After I was assurred that everything
was up and running on their end, I tried pinging the gateway and got
nothing.  I did a tcpdump -i eth0 and found that my box was making a bunch
of arp request for the owner of the gateway address.  But I also saw that
the arp requests were saying to send a response to
chester.fedwy1.wa.home.com.  The problem is, @home doesn't know who chester
is, they think I'm cxxxxxx-a (I forget the number right now, but it's not
important).  So, thinking that I'm clever, I changed my /etc/hostname to
what @home said it should be.  I still couldn't ping my router, and I
goofed up X and syslog as well (I'm really clever that way).

Since syslog was really being a booger and not starting up like it should
(obviously becase of the hostname issue), I decided to reboot into single
user mode and fix the problem.  Well, I goofed that up too, and went into
normal startup, but my box had already fixed the hostname issue and
everything started up fine, including networking.

So, I know that one way to fix this problem is to reboot my box, but I don't
want to have to do that every time @home drops my connection.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks for the help.

Stephen W. Juranich                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington             http://rcs.ee.washington.edu/ssli