Hi Folken,

The do_try_to_free_pages failures are symptoms of a bug in the
2.2.17pre6 kernel that ships with 2.2.

I have a K6/2 233 machine with 64M RAM which displays these
errors occasionally. They don't appear to be fatal but could
be leaking memory?

I also have a 486SLC 33 machine with 8M RAM which displays
these errors a lot during installation and package upgrades.
Again they're not fatal.

Your problems could be related to this bug and running out of
swap space. Neither of my machines have done this, the first has
512M of swap and runs X and StarOffice. The second doesn't run
X - with 8M of RAM it doesn't run anything big :)

You can configure additional swap space using a file. You will
need to use dd to create the file and mkswap then swapon to create
and activate the swap area.

I suggest reading the manpages for these. The alternative is to
install a more stable kernel e.g. 2.2.17 final. I haven't done this
myself yet.

Regards,
Neil Darlow.

--
1024D/531F9048 1999-09-11 Neil Darlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Key fingerprint = 359D B8FF 6273 6C32 BEAA  43F9 E579 E24A 531F 9048