From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 10:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mixed platform network

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 10:27:22PM -0500, David Turetsky wrote:

> Right now, when I run totally under a Windows XP Professional
> environment, I have a Dell notebook which is the internet gateway, and
> connected by a crossover cable, I have a Dell desktop sharing that
> connection. Thus they can both access the internet at the same time,
and
> I also have file transfer ability and printer sharing. This allows me
> view much more than I would comfortably be doing on one system,
permits
> me to do backup stuff on one while I watch the market, read email,
> scanning, and web stuff, or just maintain a redundant capability

These can be easily handled by Samba and IPtables.

> I am watching the stock market and have accounts open on proprietary
> Windows browsers from Fidelity and others and download market data
again
> using proprietary Windows-based browsers, and sometimes run graphical
> applications such as Photoshop, Quark and others, so I don't
> particularly see myself entirely cutting the umbilical with Windows...
> in any event, even if I wished to do so, it would have to be stretched
> out over time

Completely reasonable; I'm more of a buy-and-hold investor, so the
generic web interfaces work for me.  You might want to look into VMware,
though, as it would make rebooting to switch OSes a thing of the past.
It's a great solution if your only Windows needs are software-centric
(e.g., not hardware support), and you don't need a lot of 3D in your
Windows apps (3D suport in VMware is horrible).

> Having finally gotten a stable debian distribution (woody) which
> supports my nvidia graphics card, I am now building up my linux
> resources and bringing myself up to speed. It would be nice if I could
> run Mozilla and other such under linux on the desktop while I maintain
> my internet connection using the notebook gateway

Methinks you need to read a bit more about Linux.  If you set up
IPtables and panic the kernel by hand, it will still route packets in
most situations.  I don't think Mozilla will affect that. *grin*

One potential problem: Does your desktop have an unsupported Winmodem?

--
Don Werve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Unix System Administrator)