On Wed 13 Dec 00, 11:28 PM, Ethan Benson said...
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 11:07:18PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i wrote a very nice piece on the System.map file.   you can find it at my
> > personal website, along with other bits and pieces of linux knowledge:
> >
> >     http://www.dirac.org/p/linux/systemmap.html
> >
> > what's most likely happening is that the System.map file that klogd is
> > finding is in /boot/System.map, since that's the first location klogd will
> > look by default.
> >
> > one of the steps when you compile a kernel would be:
> >
> > cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-thisversion
>
> good
>
> > ln -s /boot/System.map-thisversion /boot/System.map
>
> unecessary, this has not been required ever since 2.2 kernels came
> out, and possibly even before that.  everything that uses System.map
> looks for System.map-`uname -r` you don't need that symlink.  redhat
> still does this for incomprehensible reasons.  all it accomplishes is
>allowing you to only boot one version of the kernel with a matching System.map.

ethan, this is fantastic news if true.

i tried to verify your claim by looking at the man page for klogd.
couldn't find anything about looking for System.map-version.

i also looked in /usr/src/Documentation/oops-tracing, with no success.

i do beleive you, but can you give me a reference on this?

thanks!
pete