On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, W. Crowshaw wrote:

> At 5:42 PM -0800 12/19/00, Dwight Johnson wrote:
> >
> >Show us your chatscript.
> >

> My chat script looks like this:
> 'TIMEOUT' '30'
> 'ABORT' 'BUSY'
> 'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
> 'ABORT' 'NO ANSWER'
> 'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
> 'ABORT' 'RING'
> 'ABORT' '% User/password invalid'
> '' 'ATZ'
> 'OK-+++\c-OK' 'AT &F1 L W2 Q0 V1 E1 &D2 &C1 S0=0 S7=150+MS=56'
> 'OK' 'ATDT5551000'
> 'CONNECT 42000' ''
> 'User Access Verification--User Access Verification' ''
> 'sername:--sername:' 'wcrowshaw'
> 'assword:' 'mypassword'
> '>' 'ppp'

Your chat script is quite suspect. How did you come up with this weird chat
script? Most ISPs are authenticating with PAP (or MS CHAP) these days.

If your ISP does authenticate this way (unlikely), you will be able to
verify it in minicom by doing it manually. After entering 'ppp' at your
console in minicom, you should see the PPP stream start -- it's a profusion
of weird characters spewing over your screen.

But if your ISP does authenticate this way, you should see the prompts from
the left side of your chat script appear for you to respond to.

> The ugly init screen above is basically the one I run on my mac using
> the same modem to connect to my ISP. I've checked it with the modem
> manual and its pretty non-controversial.
>

> >Try dialing in using minicom. An immediate hangup like you are getting
> >suggests a possible problem with your modem.
> >
> >Minicom will show you what you get back from your ISP when your call first
> >gets answered.
> >
> I will try minicom tomorrow night.

The PPP-HOWTO by Robert Hart goes into the details of making this manual
connection in minicom. My version is from 1997 but I highly recommend your
reading it. On your Mac, you may have to revert to a custom-built script
and the PPP-HOWTO will show you how to put it together.

> >Set kdebug to 7 and observe the dialup dialog with your chatscript.

Still recommended. You would probably view this output in /var/log/messages
unless you have routed it elsewhere.

> >It's not even starting an authentication dialog suggesting that TCP/IP is
> >not getting started. See if you can get it started manually in minicom.

I should have said 'suggesting that PPP is not getting started'. Sorry if
that caused any confusion.

Dwight