> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 12:42 am, Fer'had Erdogan wrote:
> > I'm new to Debian and to Linux. I'm trying to get it going on my a
> > machine but I'm stuck. When it says "installing base system - please
> > wait" (after configuring network) it starts writing some files in
> > and gives an error message **debootstrap exited with an error
> > (return value 1)** .. Can anyone help? What do I do?
>
> I know I'll be assailed from all sides for daring to suggest this, but
> if you are new to Linux, and not overly experienced with operating
> systems other than, say, Windows, I would suggest looking for
> something easier to install than Debian.  Perhaps Mandrake or Redhat
> or Lycoris, or an easy-to-install version of Debian, like Libranet.

 Another option is to try Knoppix. You can run it from the cdrom to
check if your hardware is correctly detected and then install it on
the hardware. It's very easy to install. When done you'll have a
Debian installation on your box.

  For more info on it search google. Several howto and sites are
available

-- Hugo