You may want to subscribe to the debian-powerpc (or is it debian-ppc?)
mailing list and ask questions there.  You're much more likely to hit
someone who's knowledgeable about the iMac platform there.

I've been (very very slowly) gathering some information about how to
load Debian on my new iMac DV SE, and have run across a number of issues
that the folks there have been very helpful in trying to track down.
Linux on the PPC platform is a whole new ballgame for me, but it's fun.

If you want "seamless" or relatively easy Linux installations on PPC,
the recent reviews of the LinuxPPC distribution have been encouraging.
Personally, I will probably continue fighting through trying to get
Debian installed.

I haven't really gotten very excited about OSX yet, but I do spend some
time in that strange environment these days messing around with it and
seeing what I can break on purpose.  I don't think I can stomach their
licensing and strange way they're doing devel on Darwin at Apple and
keeping some of it closed-source, and some open-source.  Very odd.