On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 04:20:18PM -0700, Bryan Carpenter wrote:
> I'm a newbie asking for help as to which network
> card to buy that will "just be seen" by a standard
> Debian 2.2.17 install.  I've tried a Netgear FA312
> and a Linksys LNE100TX rev. 4.1, but neither seems
> to be easy to set up.  I did try getting the "tulip"
> driver from scyld.com, but it seems to require munging
> to compile and use.  I'm willing to spend money to get a
> card that will either just "be seen" and set up by
> the default install, or else at most need to have
> one of the standard optional modules chosen that
> are offered early in the Debian install.
>
> I would like a 10/100 10BaseT card that uses
> an efficient architecture so it doesn't load
> the processor unduly, and I also want it to have
> good WinME and Win2K drivers.

        Well i just did a couple of installs using a D-Link
DFE-530TX+. You can load the rtl8139.o module and config
the network during the actual install, so you are ready to
d/l pks from the net after setting up the base system.
        This is a very good 10/100 NIC with Win2k drivers.
These cards have recently been on sale for $10-20. Just
plug it in and go. It even has wake-on-lan if your m/b
supports it.
        The rtl8139 driver is already compiled as a
module in Debian 2.17 kernel.