Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) said on Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:41:12AM +0100:
> > Your gateway/router is working as designed.  The internal (LAN) and
> > external (WAN/Internet) are kept separated.  This means that no WAN IP
> > can try to connect directly with an internal address.  Nor is it allowed
> > to use a LAN IP from outside.  When you try to connect to your public
> > address from within the LAN, the name resolves to your own address.  So
> > the router sees it as an internal address trying to get in, and that's
> > not allowed.
>
> OK. Is there a trick I can use so that I can access this machine from
> inside AND outside our LAN using the same name?

Yes.  You want a NAT.

> Would be handy for CVS configuration (which for example keeps
> information in CVS/Root)

For this, I actually use ssh tunnels:

ssh -f -L2401:cvs.foo.com:2401 [EMAIL PROTECTED] sleep 3600

cvs -d :pserver:config@localhost:2401:/cvs login
cvs -d :pserver:config@localhost:2401:/cvs co config

etc etc.

It works great, 'cause then you can move machines to basically anywhere
on your network (internal or external), and you just change the ssh
tunnel invocation to match.  CVS doesn't have to know any better.