On February 13, 2003 11:42 am, George Georgalis wrote:
> anyway, you can use the -y option in fsck to answer yes to all the
> questions.

I thank both of you for the tips.  We're still not sure what caused the
catastrophic hard drive failure, although it may become more clear after
figuring out whether the drive is now junk or not.  I had already give the -y
order before reading Alvin's message.  I'm still don't understand what there
is to lose by fscking the disk, answering "y" to all the questions?  Do you
think there could be a problem with the bios or memory now that is now
scrambling a previously good hdd through the fsck process?  Anyways, there's
nothing to lose here other than the annoyance of redoing a fresh installation
and, he'd already yessed a couple thousand fsck fixes manually.

Last I heard, it has been fixing inodes for almost 24 hours at a rate of
about one per 2 seconds.  I wonder if it will boot again if/when that ever
finishes.

Question, Alvin:

> - if its bad mmory... i dont want the disk touched
>
> assuming that it was shutdown properly ...
> - if your bios time is whacky... so can fsck...
>
> - if you have bad memory... it will try to fix the drive according to
>   its bad memory content....

I'm not sure what these mean.  Does

bad memory = bad RAM memory
bios time whacky = internal clock wrong?