On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 09:58:42AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
:On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 06:05:14AM -0800, Xucaen wrote:
:> is there a practicle reason for doing this? What
:> is the purpose?
:
:I'm not the original requester and I assume that he has a different/better
:reason but...
:
:I normally run X in at least 24 bpp (32 if the video card can do it at my
:preferred resolution).  Some of Loki's games will only run in 16 bpp.
:I'll occasionally run dual Xen so I can play those games without having to
:shut down wdm first.

edit /etc/X11/Xserver, the file:

---
/usr/bin/X11/XFree86
Console

The first line in this file is the full pathname of the default X
server.
The second line shows who is allowed to run the X server:
RootOnly
Console      (anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
Anybody
---

Switch console to Anybody, but be aware that this means you can ssh in
(you don't have telnet running do you!) and startx for what ever
that's worth security wise...

I don't know if this is XF86-4.0 specific or not as I discovered it
after my upgrade, 3.3.x may have something similar elsewhere, but I'm
not sure.

Seems to be there on my 3.3.x machine, but that's actively running Xi
Graphics Xserver (for quad headed support), not XFree86, so I don't
have a clean test environment to fully verify this

-Jon