Well, I can't say I've got the same problems.  I've been using 2.4.0
since about test8 on my laptop, with almost complete success WRT PCMCIA.
One difference is that I don't use the PCMCIA modules that ship with the
kernel, but the pcmcia-cs package from unstable.

What kind of network card do you have?  Have you tried ejecting it
before shutting down?  Is the behavior what you'd expect?

noah