I like to indent the first line of each paragraph.  By default,
emacs (in text mode) considers only blank lines and page delimiters as
paragraph delimiters, and binds the TAB key to "indent-relative".  To
change this, I have the following lines in .emacs:

(setq default-major-mode 'paragraph-indent-text-mode )
(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook `local-set-key "\t" `tab-to-tab-sto
p)

     When I open a text file in emacs, I find my major mode is
(correctly) paragraph-indent-text-mode, but the TAB key is still bound
to "indent relative".  I can, of course, manually bind TAB to
tab-to-tab-stop, but this gets old fast.

     Composing messages in Gnus is even worse.  Gnus now uses
Message-mode for composition, which apparently doesn't honor either
message-mode-hook or text-mode-hook, so I must manually change to
paragraph-indent-text-mode, and then re-bind the TAB key.  Of course,
then I have to switch back to message mode before I can send the
message.

     Any suggestions for .emacs lines to solve this problem?

     I am using emacs21 21.2-5, and gnus 5.9.0015-1, but emacs
behavior, in this respect, has been the same since the first release
of emacs20.

Regards.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_    Robert D. Hilliard        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>