on Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 05:03:49PM -0200, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>       Hi all,
>       I have two webservers running Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 with apache
> and resin java servlets (www.caucho.com) handling 500.000 page views.
>       By two months or so, they worked ok. From a week ago or so,
> one machine begin to fail with the following message at syslog.
>
> Jan 23 13:42:01 host /usr/sbin/cron[187]: (CRON) error (can't fork)
>
>       I can ping it, but nothing more.
>       Anyone has any help?

There are a number of conditions which can prevent a system from
forking, including out of memory, out of process-table-entries, out of
file handles, etc.   Probably want to try booting the system or getting
local access to it to see what's up.